Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Richmond here we come!!!



So I did it....took a lot of nerve, but I just signed my sister & I up for our very first 5K run!!  I can't even believe I am typing those words.   I've never been a runner, but I decided if the people on The Biggest Loser can run a marathon I can train and run 3.1 miles!  To keep myself motivated and to have some accountability I called my sister and got her in on the deal. Of course she jumped on board....she's the BEST!!!   I found this really good book called "Run Your Butt Off" ( I know funny title) that has a really manageable running plan for us. It's written by the writers of Runners World magazine.   The program is kind of like the Couch to 5K, but better for me.  It starts out with just 30 mins of walking 4 days a week.  Once that is mastered then you start the walk/run program.  I like this one because you don't move on to the next session until you have mastered the one you are one.  Ideally in 12 weeks she and I should be able to jog/run for 30 mins straight.

As I posted earlier I am really trying to live a healthier life and running is something that is cheap, can be done anywhere, anytime ( I have a treadmill), and it is something I can do with friends or my wonderful husband. So starting Monday my sister and I will begin our training.  The 5k isn't until October ( wanted to wait until the weather is cooler), so that gives us plenty of time to get prepared.


I found a really neat race in Richmond, VA which will be halfway between where we both live.  I love the fact that it also has a 1 mile fun run for the kids, complete with mascots to cheer them on ( Ethan and Rachel want to do it) and they are going to have lots of activities for them as well.  I also love the cause....it is to raise money for their Childrens Hospital. Plus an extra bonus is Richmond is the home to Kings Dominion, so after the race we can go have some fun there!!

Super excited and pray that I can do this!!!

Smiles,
Michelle

1 comment: