Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Lord is Our Rock!

“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold” (Psalm 18:2).


This verse has been showing up a lot in my life this week.  First of all,  Rachel ( our daughter) had found a song by a group called God Rocks.  The song is totally based on Psalm 18:2  and she wanted to start learning it to sing.  So I bought her the soundtrack and we've been working on it this week. Then this morning as I was doing my usual blog reading I came upon this article from  faithdeployed.com and it was also based on Psalm 18:2  I believe it was God's way of telling me that  life in the military doesn't have to be a life of instability.  If we just focus on what is important:  Our relationship with God, our marriage, and our family, we can have a life that is just as stable as those not in the military. Does it mean it's easy, no, but it does mean we do have a God who will be "our rock, our fortress, our deliver....in Him we can take refuge"  and He will give us the strength to get through it all.  Below is the article I was reading and I hope it blesses you as much as it blessed me!!


Smiles,

Michelle


The Military Life = A Life of Stability

by JOCELYN on APRIL 5, 2011
by Kristin Schwabauer Rydbeck
Even though we moved every three years and even though my Dad was gone a lot, there was something about my family that was safe, predictable. And somehow, this safety and predictability made the military lifestyle work for us. Let me explain.
As a kid growing up military, there was always change and transition going on around me. But I never felt unstable. I never felt like my world was shattering around me. I never ended up in counseling because of the military.
My parents were good at getting a few things across to us kids. First, God was important and faith came first. This meant we spent time around the dinner table after eating doing family devotions and praying. This also meant I regularly saw both my mom and my dad studying God’s Word. I watched my parents make decisions based on their faith in God. In my family, I knew God was a solid foundation. He was something I could count on when everything else around me was out of control.
“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold” (Psalm 18:2).
Second, I knew my parents loved each other. They regularly dated each other. They kissed and showed affection. They put each other’s needs first. And as a little kid, this made me feel safe. A few times, I came home from school upset because one of my classmates parents’ was getting a divorce. When I heard my parents argue about something, I burst into tears and asked them if they were getting a divorce. They promised (and still promise to this day) that they are committed to working through things and will never divorce each other. This has always given me much comfort.
Third, I know my parents love me. They have always supported me in things I’m interested in. They helped me with homework when I needed it, drove me to ballet and cheered me on during basketball games. Similarly, they went to my sister’s art shows and supported her during volleyball season. They attended my brother’s play performances (every performance of the same show, I might add) and paid for his music lessons. They invested themselves in our endeavors, encouraged our unique individuality and were our biggest cheerleaders.
So the point I’m trying to make is this. In spite of a nomadic lifestyle in the military, there are ways to create safety, predictability and stability for your kids. In fact, your kids may actually enjoy the military life and may even miss it when it’s gone, like I do. You are providing a unique opportunity for your kids, by being in the military, to travel the world, meet lots of people and have a wider worldview. God has given you and your family a unique opportunity to serve Him in ministry and He considers not only you, but your spouse and kids too, worthy to fill this mighty role.
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

1 comment:

  1. I needed that!! Such a good article and I'd never heard of that site before!

    ReplyDelete