Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July Korean Style

Today was our first full day in Korea & it has been great.  A couple from Josh's work met us at our hotel and his wife took me around base for a tour.  It was really great to finally meet her in person.  She had helped me SO much prior to arriving here.  I wish I had taken my camera and I could have shown you some pictures of what the post looks like, but I will have plenty of time to do that :).  After the tour, she dropped me off back at the hotel and it was rest time for us all.  Our internal clocks are all out of whack...as I type it is 4:30 am and myself, Josh, Caleb & Michael are all wide awake!  Hopefully after a couple of days the jet lag will disappear.

The view from our hotel....

The kids needed a haircut, so while we were waiting for Caleb to finish the other three wanted to ride the little carousel in the lobby...


Ethan is such a great big brother.....he loved carrying Michael around on his back...

This is the playground where we are staying right now...the kids were in SO excited when they saw this! It's open to everyone on post too, so I know there will be more trips here in our future.



Later in the afternoon, we woke up and got dressed for dinner.  We were going to eat at a restaurant downstairs but the wait was too long ( we didn't want to miss the 4th of July festivities).  So, we ended up eating at Subway :).





After dinner, we left to walk to where the 4th of July festivities were going to be on post.  I was very excited because I was finally going to meet one of the spouses I had been in contact with through Facebook :).  Her family lives in the housing area we want to live in and they will be going to the same Chapel service we want to attend also!  We met them and hit it off right away!!  We had such a great time talking and letting our kids play.

Having fun with their new friends :)





It was great to finally meet Marcia & her husband in person!  We hit it off great with them :)





Getting ready to watch the fireworks show...Ethan was tired of me taking pics...lol







So after our first full day in Korea, I will have to say I'm impressed and believe we are really going to enjoy our stay here.  We haven't venture far from the hotel yet, but we plan to this weekend. Right now our top priority is finding a house to live in on post.  There are a couple that I would like, so we will see what happens.

Some things that surprised me today were:

1. How many Koreans are actually on the post.  The majority of the people who work at the services areas ( food courts, restaurants, beauty shops, stores, etc.) are Korean.

2. They love our children and just go crazy over them.

3. The people who are stationed here that we have met are super nice and willing to help you out ALOT.

4. I was expecting it to smell funny when we got off the plane.  Several people had told me it would smell like garlic because they eat alot of it here.  Apparently, it rained alot the day before we got here, so there wasn't a smell at all....not one that I noticed anyway.

5. It wasn't as hot as I thought it would be...maybe because we had just come from NC where it had been extremely hot.  It is humid here though....reminds me of when we lived in FL.

Until Next Time,

Michelle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment