Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Papa & Mimi's Visit: Wang Thai & Dongdaemun Market

One of our favorite places to eat in Itaweon is Wang Thai, so we knew we had to take my parents there while they were visiting. It was also the first time we had taken our kids.



Since Josh & I knew our kids wouldn't eat really spicy food, we decided to order them Satay Ruam (what we usually eat as an appetizer).  It's pretty much beef, pork or chicken on a stick..lol.  I didn't know how they would like it since it was seasoned, but it was a hit with all of them!!  





 I ordered a Pad Thai lunch special that came with some type of noodle salad.  We have no idea what this is...maybe one of my friends can help me out.  Josh ended up eating the salad because it was too spicy for me.  He said the noodles were good, but he wouldn't eat whatever the thing pictured below on his fork was again :).


Since my parents had never eaten Thai food before they left their order up to me! 


For my Daddy, I ordered him Khao Pad Sabparod....it consists of fried rice in yellow curry powder, with chicken, shrimp, pineapple and raisins! The last time I had eaten here one of my friends had ordered it and I thought it would be something he would like. Guess what, I was right!!  He LOVED it!!!




For my mom, I knew her taste in food is about like mine, so I ordered her my favorite, Pad Thai Gai. This is yummy goodness right here folks.....I crave this stuff & my mom loved it too!!!  


 At the end of our meal, the waiters brought us our dessert, Shaku, which is tapioca with coconut milk.   The kids and my mom really liked it, but I was surprised when my daddy said he didn't.  He didn't like the texture of the Tapioca...lol.  I told him when I first tried it I had the same reaction because it does feel slimy, but now I love it!


After our delicious meal, we were stuffed and what better way to walk off all that food......head to Dongdaemun market!!  Dongdaemun market is one of the shopping districts in Seoul.  It is situated over 10 blocks, with 30,000 specialty shops & 50,000 manufacturers (thanks Wikipedia). I tried to explain to my parents what they were in for because at first it can be very overwhelming! There are many different alley's that specialize in all kinds of things from baking, leather goods, sporting goods, electronics, etc.  We tried to go somewhere kid friendly, so we picked pet alley and toy alley!


This is the first time any of us had ever been to this part of Dongdaemun and like I said...overwhelming.  There were stacks upon stacks of fish, rabbits, birds, hamsters, gerbils...I could go on and on!  The only thing they didn't have here were cats and dogs, apparently they are in another location in Seoul. 







After pet alley, we walked over to toy alley and man were there toys!  The kids of course loved it! I asked my parents what they thought and they couldn't believe just "how much stuff" there was!






Another fun day of exploring in Seoul!

Until Next Time,
Michelle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment