Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

What a day!!

This has been one of those days that I thought would never come to an end!!  Most of you know that I am homeschooling Ethan and Rachel while we are in Idaho.  Josh and I really prayed hard over that decision and we know this is where God wants us to be at this time. Plus, we feel it is in the best interest of our children, but man days like today make it SO hard!!

First of all, Michael ( our youngest) has been cranky for the past couple of days because his 2 yr old molars are coming in.  Poor fellow just doesn't feel good and I know it's because of the teeth, but the crying all day doesn't help with the schooling.  So in between loving on him and making him feel better, I began doing lessons with Ethan.  All was going well until we hit his math lesson. For some reason I had a mental block or maybe I was just super tired ( Josh has been working late this week), but for the life of me I could not figure out how to answer the problems he had in his lesson.  They were word problems like this:

Nolan has collected 14 baseball cards, including cards from the Rangers, the Astros, and the Titans. He has 3 Astros cards. He has 5 fewer Titans cards than Rangers cards. How many of each kind of card is in Nolan's collection? 


For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get the answer.  I felt so sorry for Ethan because he was getting upset thinking that I was getting frustrated with him, when in reality I was frustrated with myself because I couldn't do this THIRD GRADE math problem.  What makes it worse is I have an Education Degree, you would think I could get it.  Thankfully, we are using an online school and Ethan actually has a live teacher that we can call to help us out.  So that's what I did!  She made me feel alot better when she said that several of the students/parents had problems with this section. 
After we finally got all that figured out it was time to take Rachel to dance.  So I loaded all the kids up in the van and headed into town.  Right after her dance I had to rush back to base to take Ethan to Boy Scouts.  As we were getting close to the base gate, I realized I had left my ID at home.  Now for those who are not military that is a big NO, NO.  You are supposed to have your ID with you all the time.  I didn't know what to do, but pray. So as we got to the gate, I rolled down the window and explained the situation to the guard.  Well, thankfully this is a small base and apparently everyone ( or so it seems) knows my husband because of our van ( we bought a conversion van over the summer). So the guard looks at me and says "Well, I recognize your vehicle...your husband is Major Craig right?   This time I will let you go, but make sure you always have your ID with you."  Again, SO thankful for our van :)  


Days like today are the days that I am so thankful I serve a God who is my strength because it's Him who helps me get through and keep my sanity :).


So now since all the kiddos are in bed, Daisy is sleeping and Josh is still not home, I think I will treat myself to a very, very, very long, hot bath!


Until next time,


Michelle





2 comments:

  1. Hey girlie - Don't beat yourself up, that 3rd grade math can be killer sometimes! (And I have an Education degree too - but honestly, how often do we do math like that? Sheesh!) You are doing great and your children will rise and call you blessed at the end of the day! And yea for kind security guards! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sally for the encouraging words....I was feeling very defeated yesterday! I said the exact same thing about the math.....who does use that stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete